Saturday, October 18, 2008

Executive Lunch

Owing to another lengthy discussion about the freezer, and several other distractions, I don't make it to lunch until late in the afternoon. I'm wickedly hungry so I go huge, and order the "executive meal" for about a dollar. It's a veritable extravaganza of delights on a sectioned tin plate.


There are many things I'm coming to love about eating in India. In particular, I'm delighted by the very slight variations on a basic tortilla theme that show up at every meal. They go by such pseudonyms as chapatti, parotta, and poori, but they're even kept in tortilla warmers, I remain unconvinced. Someone told me once that "all the world loves a flat bread." So true.
The people I've met in Mysore have an incredibly generous urge to feed. My co-workers spend much of the morning discussing what everyone brought for lunch, and the minute the lunch-pails are cracked, everything is openly shared with right-hand nibbling gusto. They giggle, and tell me "Eh, we think you should eat cashews. Too thin."

No comments: