Monday, November 3, 2008

Indian wedding

When I was invited to join 999 of my closest friends at the wedding hall next to the Mysore Milk Dairy to celebrate the union of my favorite sari shop owner and his gorgeous bride, I had no idea what to expect. I had absolutely no idea that my first task would be to pose with my co-worker Bhavana's family, the couple du soir, and several assorted other guests. Nor was I in any way prepared to eat a dinner scooped out of buckets onto banana leaves by energetic waiters dressed in matching pink. And who knew that despite the exhausted looks on the faces of the bride and groom, they hadn't even been married yet? The wedding ceremony wasn't actually scheduled until the next morning. Following suit, I wished them the happiest of married lives, enjoyed the music, and pretended that I often spend my weekends wearing a sari, scooping chutney off a banana leaf.

1 comment:

The Klausner's said...

Sarah, maybe, you'll be married soon in an Indian wedding, too? That would be fun and memorable. I think the bride and groom can do more than stand on the receiving line.
Jana and I say "hi" "hi" from San Francicso and wish you well. Please find the missing $$.

Best,

Dr K